Shintaro Ishihara is our dear leader.
The bizarre septuagenarian has been the governor of Tokyo since 1999 and so far shows no signs of being voted out (last year he won with a million vote majority).
He is extremely outspoken on the role of foreigners in Japan and how Japan has lost its traditional roots. He wants Japan to turn away from its western imposed society and return to its Asian roots. He also believes homosexuality is a degenerative disease and that the Japanese Diet (government) has been infiltrated by foreign elements.
Other beautiful gems from the man in charge;
- “If Japanese hadn’t fought the white people, we would still be slaves of the white people. It would be colonization. We changed that.”
- In response to China’s first successful launch of a man in space: “The Chinese are ignorant, so they are overjoyed. That spacecraft was an outdated one. If Japan wanted to do it, we could do it in one year.”
- “I hate Mickey Mouse. He has nothing like the unique sensibility that Japan has. The Japanese are inherently skilled at visual expression and detailed work.”
- “I have to say that it should be no surprise that French is disqualified as an international language because French is a language which cannot count numbers.”
- “With Sangokujin and foreigners repeating serious crimes, we should prepare ourselves for possible riots that may be instigated by them at the outbreak of an earthquake. As police is not always fit for handling all contingencies, the Self-Defense forces should be ready to respond to threats to public security besides natural disasters.” (Sankokujin means third-country nationals, a seriously derogatory word for those whose parents, grandparents or even great grandparents were Korean, Chinese or Filipino who were brought over to work during the war)
- “There is a marked increase in the number of cases in which some foreigners who enter Japan on working and other visas remain in the country illegally to commit heinous crimes.”
- “Roppongi is now virtually a foreign neighborhood. Africans who don’t speak English are there doing who knows what. This is leading to new forms of crime such as car theft. We should be letting in people who are intelligent.”
- ”People say that the Japanese made a holocaust but that is not true. It is a story made up by the Chinese. It has tarnished the image of Japan, but it is a lie.” (on the Rape of Nanking).
- (To a well-known women’s magazine) “old women who live after they have lost their reproductive function are useless and are committing a sin,”